There are many substances that are toxic to our canine friends. Some of these substances are obvious but others most people are not aware of.
- Rat Bait/Poison
- Ant Bait/Poison
- Slug/Snail Bait
- Household cleaning products
- Many, many types of indoor and outdoor plants
- Cocoa Mulch
- Onion Powder (in many types of dips)
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Dried Fruits
- Yeast Dough
- Cocoa Powder
- Cooked Bones, especially chicken bones
- Macadamia Nuts
- Fatty Foods
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Xylitol (contained in chewing gums, toothpaste, mints etc)
- Ibuprofen and other common over the counter medications
One other note of caution: There have been reported deaths of dogs that have eaten home-delivered pet medications that are left at the front door. Most of these meds are liver or beef-flavored. Dogs smell them and break into the packaging.
Log onto www.aspca.org and go to the Poison Control section for more information.