There are many substances that are toxic to our canine friends. Some of these substances are obvious but others most people are not aware of.
- Rat Bait/Poison
- Ant Bait/Poison
- Slug/Snail Bait
- Household cleaning products
- Many, many types of indoor and outdoor plants
- Cocoa Mulch
- Onion Powder (in many types of dips)
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Dried Fruits
- Yeast Dough
- Cocoa Powder
- Cooked Bones, especially chicken bones
- Macadamia Nuts
- Fatty Foods
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Xylitol (contained in chewing gums, toothpaste, mints etc)
- Ibuprofen and other common over the counter medications
One other note of caution: There have been reported deaths of dogs that have eaten home delivered pet medications that are left at the front door. Most of these meds are liver or beef flavored. Dogs smell them and break into the packaging.
Log onto www.aspca.org and go to the Poison Control section for more information.